19.5.09

Pancake Bliss

I love all pancakes - anything from lacy, thin French crepes, to hearty large Dutch pancakes with cheese and bacon and syrup. But I have to say that American style pancakes have a special place in my heart. I love their fluffiness, and the high ratio of fried crust to airy interior. They can be sweet or savory depending on your mood (as long as you don't put too much sugar in the batter, which would make the pancakes unsuitable for savory toppings). Or you could do what we did last night: have pancakes both for a main course and for dessert.

I fried them on my gorgeous new cast iron griddle pan, one of the many culinary birthday presents I received this year - thanks M & M!

You could make them with just regular flour, but I wanted something with just a little more bite and flavour so I used half regular flour / half wholemeal spelt flour. I'm guessing any type of wholemeal flour would work instead.








Spelt pancakes (depending on the size you make them, you'll get about 20-24 pancakes from this amount of batter).

mix together in a large bowl:
150 gram wholemeal spelt flour
150 gram regular flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix together in another bowl:
2 large eggs
100 ml milk
200 ml buttermilk
30 grams melted butter

Heat your frying pan or griddle. While it's heating up, mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Don't overmix, it's ok if you still see some lumps.
Use cooking spray or oil or butter to grease the pan or griddle. Drop spoonfuls of batter onto the griddle and cook the pancakes until small bubbles appear on the surface. Flip them and cook for a couple more seconds - don't overcook them.

We had them for dinner with smoked salmon, creme fraiche and spring onions, and then we had them for dessert with butter and maple syrup. And then we had to lie down for a bit because we were so stuffed - pancakes will do that to you, but hey, it's bliss, so who cares?



No comments: